In the last two weeks I've been working on my new compact engine. I've added physically based rendering, GPU skinning, physics (with bullet), and a revamped material system; improved shadow quality and the exporter; dabbled in what seems to be beginnings of an editor; made several optimizations, and done a lot of cleaning.
I set up a little test scene using a model by Andrew Maximov. It's a rough test since I haven't gotten around to assigning unique materials yet. It's using a single material.
Here's the result!
The engine is written in C++11 and uses OpenGL 4.1.
Since I work on a Mac, OpenGL 4.1 is as high as I can go at this time. It's certainly not bad, but I'm looking forward to using newer features like SSBOs.
Feature set so far:
- Deferred HDR rendering
- Physically based shading
- Skeletal animation with GPU skinning
- Dynamic shadows
- Physics (with Bullet)
- HDR Bloom
- Convolution filter
- Exporter for Blender
- Behaviors (native scripts)
- Entity component system design
More stuff planned, for sure!
Need to go and think of a name for this now.